Amazon annual Prime Day shopping extravaganza is back with two days of deals for Prime members, July 12 through July 13, 2022. Prime members in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States can shop 48 hours of deals, starting at 3 a.m. EDT and running through July 13. This year Prime members in Poland and Sweden can also participate. Amazon says shoppers in India, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Egypt will be able to join in the deal later this summer, though they didn’t specify a date.
“With the small businesses and national brands our members love and trust, we’re excited to offer some of our best Prime Day deals yet to even more customers around the world,” said Jamil Ghani, vice president of Amazon Prime, in a June 16 news release. “This year, we’re making it simple for members to find the best deals, from personalized deal recommendations to Alexa reminders. It’s never been easier for Prime members to shop, save, and make the most of Prime Day.”
Amazon notes that shoppers can choose from their favorite national brands as well as from more third-party sellers than last year, including many small- and medium-sized businesses. Deals will be offered in a wide range of categories including fashion, electronics, toys, home, pet supplies, beauty and personal care, customers’ most loved selections, internet famous products, and even Climate Pledge-friendly products.
Shop small promotion 2022
In past years, Amazon has made a commitment to support small businesses. This year they are running a special promotion to encourage Prime members to purchase from small businesses. Between June 21 and July 11, for every $1 spent on eligible products from small businesses, customers will receive a chance to win a unique experience. Among the prizes are:
- Pre-game and tickets to Super Bowl LVII in Glendale, Arizona
- VIP passes to music experiences in Los Angeles and Las Vegas
- Tickets to a special New York City screening cast meet-and-greet for Prime Video’s new series, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
- VIP trip for a $2,000 shopping spree at Amazon’s first clothing store – Amazon Style – near Los Angeles
Prime members can identify eligible small business brands by looking for the Small Business Badge. On Amazon’s Small Business landing page, shoppers can also identify categories by U.S. region (Pacific, Rocky Mountains, Northeast, Southwest, Midwest and Southeast) and by type (woman-owned, military family-owned, family-owned, Black-owned, makers and innovators).
Last year’s shop small promotion
This is quite a bit different from last year’s shop small promotion when Amazon gave Prime members a $10 credit to shoppers who spent $10 at select at U.S. small businesses on select products and brands. The 2021 event was held on June 21 and 22, and Amazon reported that Prime members bought more than 250 million items, including $1.9 billion on 70 million small business products during the Spend $10, Get $10 promotion. This change in tactics is to be expected after the company’s first-quarter 2022 loss of $3.8 billion.
Shop early and often for extra perks
Some members-only pricing is available as early as July 21 on other items, including Amazon Devices and Fire TV smart TVs. Also available before Prime Day 2022:
- Shop live: Starting June 21, customers can shop online live with celebrities and influencers including Porsha Williams, Joe and Frank Mele and Lala Kent. On June 28, Hilary Duff will highlight some of her favorite small businesses.
- Affirm payments: From June 28 through July 11, Prime members can shop with Buy Now, Pay Later through Affirm. With 0% interest, shoppers can pay for their purchases in three monthly payments when they spend $50 or more on eligible products. Credit approval by Affirm is required.
- Amazon Fresh: Starting June 29, Prime members will save 20% on certain everyday essentials at Amazon Fresh stores in the U.S.
- Prime Rewards: From July 1 through July 29, Prime members will receive a $200 Amazon gift card if they are approved for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa card.
Building loyalty through Prime Stampcard
In a new program this year, Amazon is trying to increase loyalty across its line of products and services. From June 16 through Prime Day, Prime members can earn a $10 credit through Prime Stampcard. Members receive a “stamp” for completing four Prime activities: stream a show on Prime Video, listen to Prime Music, borrow a Prime Reading or Kindle Unlimited book or add a book to their library, and make a Prime-sipping eligible purchase.
The last two years have been a wild ride for everyone, and Amazon’s Prime Day has been all over the calendar as a result. This year’s event puts the event back on schedule with some interesting changes. The company has continued last year’s focus on small- and medium-sized businesses, as well as specialized businesses, and taken some of the more interesting features from last year. What is missing is the big splash with the hottest stars (Billie Eilish and Taylor Swift) and the Spend $10, Get $10, but we really love the addition of the Prime Stampcard. What a cool way for a digital company to encourage Prime members to try their other services! The more services a Prime member utilizes, the more likely they are to consider a Prime membership a “must have” rather than a “nice to have.” This might help preserve Prime members who find the recently-increased price ($119 a year to $139 a year) to be a bitter pill to swallow.