Amazon Prime Day 2021 was a huge success for small and medium-sized businesses. In fact, the two-day sales event was the biggest for Amazon third-party sellers ever with more than 250 million items purchased from 20 countries around the world. The deals started two weeks ahead of Prime Day with Prime members spending $1.9 billion on more than 70 million small business products during the Spend $10, Get $10 promotion. This represents a 100% increase over Amazon’s October 2020 Prime Day sale.
“A huge thank you to all of the Amazon teams who made this Prime Day possible for members worldwide and to Prime members who supported small businesses in big ways,” said Dave Clark, CEO of Worldwide Consumer, in a June 23, 2021 news release. “Prime members are an important part of our Amazon family, and we love to celebrate them during Prime Day with incredible deals and entertainment, including this year’s Prime Day Show.”
Small business owners share their experiences
Colin McIntosh, CEO of Sheets & Giggles, said, “We’re blown away by Amazon’s Prime Day support for small business partners like Sheets & Giggles. We saw an 800% increase in units sold on day one. We’ve don’t have a large team or unlimited resources, so the concentrated exposure is something we couldn’t have done without Amazon’s Support small campaign.”
Naa-Sakle Akuete, Mother’s Shea also commented on the company’s success during Prime Day.
“We are thrilled to be working with Amazon; Prime Day is a resounding success for our small business. We appreciate that Amazon is a partner who can help us succeed, and makes it simple for customers to find and purchase Mother’s Shea. Amazon enables us to reach an audience that would otherwise be difficult to reach on our own,” Akuete said.
Prime Day 2021 highlights
- Best-selling categories were tools, beauty, nutrition, baby care, electronics (including Amazon devices), clothing and household items.
- Top-selling products included iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum, Keurig K-Slim Coffee Maker, Apple Cider Vinegar Gummy Vitamins by Goli Nutrition, and Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips.
- Back-to-school purchases were also top on the list of many shoppers with 600,000 backpacks, 1 million headphones, 240,000 notebooks, 40,000 calculators and 220,000 Crayola products sold.
- Prime Day 2021 drove up sign-ups for Amazon Music Unlimited globally, more than any other Prime Day.
- Tens of millions of customers saw product demos, heard from creators, and watched Amazon Live livestreams during Prime Day.
- In the United States, top products included Waterpik Electric Water Flosser, Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder, 23andMe Health DNA Test, iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum, and the Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 Quart 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker.
- In the United Kingdom, top-selling items included Shark Anti Hair Wrap Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, CeraVe SA Smoothing Cleanser, and Jack Daniel’s Gentleman Jack Tennessee Whiskey.
- Top-selling Amazon devices and Alexa include the Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, Fire TV 4K streaming media players, Amazon Fire tablets, Fire Kids tablets, and Fire TVs from different brands including Toshiba and Insignia.
Amazon said it now has more than 200 million paid Prime members in the world. Other key statistics from Amazon include the following:
- Amazon Music offers ad-free listening of more than 2 million songs, plus thousands of stations and playlists.
- Prime members have access to free games with Prime Gaming, and more than 1,000 books and magazines from Prime Reading
- Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market is now available in 5,000 cities and towns.
- Amazon offers free same-day deliver on millions of items in 47 major metropolitan areas and free one-day shipping on more than 10 million items in the U.S.
- Prime members get free two-day delivery on prescriptions through Amazon Pharmacy as well as prescription savings at more than 60,000 participating pharmacies in the United States.
Amazon wasn’t the only one celebrating their customers with special deals. According to CNN, Walmart hosted Deals for Days from June 20 through June 23, Target offered Deal Days, and Wayfair launched a June Clearance event from June 20 through 23. Retailers of all sizes see the value Amazon brings to the table and, while they may not launch concerts and livestreams to boost sales, they can offer their best deals in the hopes of capturing a bit of Amazon Prime’s market share during the summer. These competing deals may somewhat dilute Amazon’s success in the future, but Prime Day has one thing these other retailers don’t – an audience of 200 million members willing to pay $119.99 a year for a Prime membership for Prime Day deals and a host of other perks.